- Job seekers often find themselves in a ‘catch 22’ situation, they can’t get a job because they don’t have experience, yet they can’t get the experience without a job. Work experience allows the participant to gain all important work skills and experience.
- Along with general work skills, work experience participants have an opportunity to develop their communication and interpersonal skills by interacting with a range of different people on the job including team members, managers and customers.
- One of the greatest advantages of participating in a work experience placement is that the experience gained can be added to the participant’s CV. Employers look upon work experience favourably as it shows initiative, a good work ethic and a genuine interest in an industry.
- Work experience enables a participant to experience the reality of working life which is particularly important for young people with little or no previous work history. A work experience placement is a valuable learning experience enabling participants to gain insight into various industries, organisational cultures and job roles.
- Participants in work experience placements have a unique opportunity to receive coaching and mentoring to help them develop vital work and interpersonal skills.
- Employers often use their own work experience programme as an avenue to recruit new trainees. During a work experience placement the employer has the opportunity to witness how well the participant will fit in with the rest of the team, their work ethic and determine their potential as a member of staff.
- Work experience placements enable an employer to scout for talent, selecting the most appropriate individuals to join their team.
- The training, supervision and mentoring of work experience participants gives existing staff the opportunity to develop their own staff management skills
- Work experience contributes to economic development by increasing the employability of participants, enriching the work environment and increasing productivity.
- An active work experience programme demonstrates the values of an organisation, reflecting on how it is viewed by the wider community. This positive image also impacts on employees as they develop a respect and loyalty for their employer.